Eggplant and Tahini Dip - BabaGanoushThis is a tasty dip which is not only easy to make, but improves if made a day or two in advance.
To make this you need
- 1/2 cup tahini (roasted sesame paste)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/8 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- a half bunch picked flat-leaf parsley or coriander leaves
- 3 medium-sized eggplants
Preheat the oven to 190C or Gas Mark 5. Place the eggplants on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until they’re completely soft. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
Peel off the skin and discard. Puree the eggplant in a blender with the other ingredients until smooth. Taste, and season with extra salt and lemon juice if you want. Chill for a few hours before serving.
I usually drizzle with a little olive oil and serve it with toasted bread or pitta triangles. This can keep in the fridge for up to 5 days!